Grandparenting Time

The law does not provide grandparents with a fundamental right to visit with their grandchildren
without parental consent. The CHILD CUSTODY ACT OF 1970, Public Act 91 of 1970, set forth the
circumstances for grandparenting time. Requests for grandparenting time may be filed as a motion or
a complaint depending upon the factual circumstances. The appropriate filing and judgment fees will
be charged by the Wayne County Clerk’s Office, and the matter will be assigned to a Third Circuit
Court Judge for hearing. The Friend of the Court is not able to give legal advice; if advice or further
information is needed, please consult an attorney.